Thursday, October 30, 2008

An idiot living among smart people

Here's your warning!! In this blog I will be doing a lot of bragging so if you don't want to hear it don't go any further.

When I met Colin I knew instantly that he was very smart, not just book smart, but smart and logical on every level. I am not. I am logical most of the time, very, very observant to little details. And I like to believe, really good at faking being smart. But I know I have some siblings and my parents who know the truth. As I started having kids I have always prayed that they would get his smart genes. And I have suspected for along time that my wish came true, But as a mother you always think your kid is smarter, and just all around better. I, on a daily basis, am at awe at what my kids know and can do, or invent. This morning was the first time I got some actual facts. Today was my first parent teacher conferences. Jakob was so excited for me to talk to his teacher. When I first walked in the door and sat down, she said " First of all, I want to know what you are doing and how you are doing it, cause I want to do the same with my son, and maybe share your secret with some of the other parents." Wow what a way to start off our little meeting. But in the back of my mind I thought " she probably says that to every parent to make them feel good about themselves". It worked!! She then proceeded to tell me how impressed with Jakob she is. How he is a leader in the class room, and when she introduces a new sight word Jakob is usually the first one to get it. She said how impressed she was with his knowledge coming into school, and wishes every parent took the time to prepare their kids like I did ( thank you very much!!) . As I sat and listened I kept waiting for the "but". I mean come on we all know Jakob, he can be a handful, a weirdo, and a very big worrier. The "but" never came. Instead she asked if I would like to see how he did on his state testing. Umm of course. So she shuffled some papers, looked up some numbers then reported to me that he was tied for first in his class for the highest score. There now I have some proof. After that she asked what my secret was? I told her I don't have one, he just got my husband genes. She laughed. She then told me that they retest in January. But that she was not worried cause Jakob can already do all that stuff and he beats the time easily every time. So now I know, Jakob is officially the smartest kid in his class (well tied for first!!)

Now on to my other 2. Conner amazes me every single day. He is different from is older brother in every way. But its been so fun to see him develop his own interests and hobbies. I seriously amazed at some of the objects he can combine to make something. I cant wait to see what he will do with that mind of his. Alexa, oh dear Alexa. we call her crazy lady. And I know people probably think I am horrible mother to call her that. When people come to visit they are calling her that by the time they leave. She is just a whirlwind of energy and drama. She is the girl, drama, version of Jakob. She is my little miss independent and I know that when she wants something she gets it. So if i can get her to focus on the right stuff she will amaze us all. Just you wait and see.

So there you have it. I am the idiot living among geniuses. At least I done a few things right. Hey the smartest thing I have ever done was to marry a very smart man!!

7 comments:

Ryan & Amanda said...

I am so glad that Jakob is doing so well in school and I am not surprised that his teacher is loving him. I can tell you that last year, there were definitely students in my class (while I loved them all of course) who were just smarter and there were 2 in particular that I would want my kids to be like-just way smart, but very nice and well behaved also so while you say nice things to all the parents, you don't say that to everyone! I also have to say that parent involvement in so key to their success so since you are the one mostly doing to work- you deserve the credit. Way to go for making sure school is important and helping him! Not that I am an expert or anything, but I think it is great!

Mama Bean said...

WAY TO GO!!!! It is always better to have that parent-conference then the one that says "we have a problem". GOOD JOB SUPER MOM

Colin said...

I would have to agree with amanda, I know it has more to do with what you do at home then my so called "smart" genes. I really appreciate the time you spend with the kids teaching them the things that are important. You are smart, and you've got the kids to prove it! I love you.

Christyn and Paul said...

I agree with everyone else. The time you spend with them, read, and play with them. Plays a big roll in their develop. I'm so grateful that you are able to be home with your kids, because they need that time with their mom and then the time they spend with their dad. Plus I feel that these children are special because they will be here when Christ returns. They've got to be confident and know who they are. To be able to prepare for his coming. We love you lots!

Erin said...

Sounds like he is doing really well. I was shocked when I found out what little they needed to know going into Kindergarten. Hopefully he keeps up the good work throughout his life.

Moonmagic said...

Don't sell yourself short - you have done a great job working with him. This is a good example of a loving mother in the home and a wonderful father who works hard and takes care of his family. It's been fun to see you both as parents, the tender way you teach, and love your children, and I am proud to say that I am the grandma of the smartest kindergartner in all of Rexburg :) Keep up the good work!

Danielle said...

I was blog stalking, and am so jealous you are in my hometown. Your picture in the header on your blog is adorable. good looking kids!!!