Friday, April 06, 2007

Why Didn't Someone Tell Me...

So why hasn't anyone told me that I'm not superwoman, or should I say supermom. You may laugh and think this is a joke, but I promise you that I'm serious. Now I don't think I'm a super hero, But I have always thought that I would be better then other moms and the problems that they have, will never happen to me, and that I could and would handle anything. I mean I've taken enough child psychology classes and childhood development that I should be well prepared and will be able to handle everything cool and rationally. With my first 2 kids I didn't let them hold me back. If I wanted to go shopping I would, and that was that. Grocery shopping no problem with 2 kids. I always thought that those moms who wouldn't take their kids to any stores were ridiculous. My kids were pretty good, and I was handling this motherhood thing well. Then something happened to me. I had my 3 child. It wasn't when I got pregnant. I still thought I could handle anything. But when love bug was born my supermom theory was shattered. It has been the hardest thing I have ever done. I do not have 3 arms, and I don't have enough lap space for them all to sit. It's hard to concentrate on all 3 of their needs at the same time. I do not take 3 kids to the store buy myself. And as you can see from my last post even if I have help it still is crazy. Grocery shopping gets done late at night with no kids. My house is a disaster zone on a daily basis. My 4 year old son is in this stage where he knows everything and he is always in your face telling you what you've done wrong, or what the right answer is. He also has figured out that he can say hurtful things when he is angry. I have heard " I hate you mama" one to many times this week. Why don't they teach you any of this stuff in all those early childhood development classes? So now I humbly apologize to all those that I thought that I was better at this "mom stuff "then they were. I was wrong, oh so wrong. And to my mom, can't believe you survived 5 kids. I apologize for everything that I ever did wrong. I am so sorry for ever saying I hate you, and for thinking that our house being messy was your fault. I just didn't know. So now in my humility I am going to go find a shovel and get started on the pile of laundry, that I swear I just did, and try to get my messy house clean. Then maybe I can sit down and snuggle my 3 kids, and maybe for a few minutes I can once again feel like a Supermom!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was a young mother I had a wall hanging that read.
"Settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep, I'm rocking my babies, and babies don't keep.
Apology accepted!

Colin said...

Your definately better at the "mom stuff" then I could ever be! I think your doing a wonderful job. It is far better to focus attention on the kids then be worried about all the toys on the floor, or the laundry in the laundry baskets. I honestly don't know how you do it managing 3 kids by yourself all the time and then having to take care of another one after he gets home from work.

Cori said...

MM-

I really like that quote. I might have to put that on a wall somewhere!
-da mama

Erin said...

I still think you handle things very well! I think you are supermom in your own areas still, like being creative, on the ball for all the holidays and gifts and ideas and all that kind of stuff that I lack in.