Thursday, April 19, 2007

Mr. Independent


My little boy is growing up. Sometimes it catches me so off guard. He's only 4, but my gosh he seems to be way older then that sometimes. My how times goes by so quickly. It was just yesterday it seems that I was holding him in my arms for the first time and realizing how much I love this little baby, more then I ever realized I could. It was very overwhelming. Now he is 4 and he just doesn't need me as much anymore. I appreciate his Independence, don't get me wrong, it makes my life alot easier, I am just sad to think that he isn't my little baby anymore. You are probably wondering what has brought all this on. Well let me tell you. This morning Einstein wanted breakfast and he wanted it "right now". I was in the middle of changing lovebugs and Picasso's diapers and getting their clothes on for the day. So of course I told Einstein that he had to wait till I was done then we would all go eat breakfast together. He went off sulking, and I didn't see him for a few minutes. After I was done with the daily tackle of changing out of PJ's to clothes. we headed up to eat breakfast. And there was Einstein sitting at the table with a bowl of cereal. I had to stop and think, did I get it for him? Then I looked a little closer and noticed the chair in the kitchen he pulled up to the cabinet with bowls. He of course got the big bowl out so he could be like daddy and have a huge bowl of cereal. Of course cause he had a big bowl then he had filled it up with tons of cereal . But he was almost finished with it. He also had poured him self a cup of milk with it. As I'm getting Lovebug and Picasso settled into there chairs, Einstein finishes his breakfast and pick up his bowl and cup and takes and puts them into the sink. He comes back and asked if he could go play now. I gave him a big hug and thanked him for being such a big boy and cleaning up is dishes. He then proceeds to take the gallon of milk that I have left out after pouring milk into our bowls and puts the lid on and puts it back into the fridge. As he walks out of the kitchen he turns off the light and heads down stairs. I sat there stunned for a few minutes not sure to be happy that he finally is listening to all the nagging of cleaning up after himself and turning off the lights, or be sad cause he doesn't need me to "get him cereal " anymore. I decide it was ok to be both. Its great that he is starting to do things for himself. And I am so excited that he is growing up. I swear he is already smarter then me, he just doesn't know it yet. When he figures that out I might have a big problem on my hands. But for now I will just cheer on my Mr. Independent, and encourage him to be all that he can be. And I can just sit back and be the proud mommy, till he decides he needs me again!!!!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Life is bitter sweet isn't it? As a parent when they are babies we think of all the things we want for them in life and look forward to, but when that happens we are left wondering where they time went and wanting them back where they used to be.

Ben said...

Wow. Good to hear from you. I haven't been very good at keeping in touch with others from the olden days; but it is fun to checkout what they are up to online! Crazy that its been over 10 years since those days as a youth. Thanks for posting a comment!