Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Suggestions??

We have been officially potty training in our house for a little over a week now. Conner has been doing really good with going pee. No accidents since the first day, yea!! I knew he was ready cause every time he did anything in his diaper even just a drop he wanted his diaper changed, so i just told him ok tomorrow we are going to start going on the potty. Like i said hes done great with going pee. But going poop is a whole nother thing. The 2nd day he had a accident in his underwear. I feel like I didn't get to mad at him, just said that he needs to go poop in the big boy potty. And then I took him in there and we put the "no no" in the potty and flushed it. Then we wiped his bum like we would of if he went in the potty. Everything I have read says to do that. But now he wont even sit on the toilet. He pees standing up now, after watching Jakob of course he needs to be just like him. days 3 and 4 of potty training we could tell that he needed to poop but wouldn't. We tried sitting him on the potty and reading books, then we tried giving him his privacy. Nothing but crying cause he didn't want to be on the potty. so we put a pull up on him and tried to convince him to go in there, it took another day for that to happen. but finally he did that and we cheered, because I would rather him go in a diaper then have him be constipated and have to take care of that. So that is where we are now. I have been reading up on it, and everything I read says that if they show major resistance to stop and try again later. But Conner is doing great with the peeing. He tells me pretty much when he needs to poop, he just wont sit on the blues clue potty. Jakob has been taking him in the bathroom when he goes so Conner can see how its done, and I keep hoping that the want to be like his big brother will kick in and he will sit on the potty. So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions, or ideas. Any help would be appreciated. I am so ready to stop the crying when he has to sit on the potty and just take care of business.

2 comments:

Laura Jex said...

Im The WRONG person to ask.....

Erin said...

I think some kids just have issues with that for one reason or another. With Stirling we tried EVERYTHING!!!! He just wouldn't go in poop in the potty. We'd put a pull-up on him at bed time and he would always poop at nap time when he had one on. There was nothing we could do, we tried everything we read or heard, but just led to crying. So I say just work on mastering using the potty for pee and give him a pull-up or diaper when he needs it. The only thing that worked was time, we would still try every once in a while to have him go on the potty. After about six months, when he really got the hang of things and was in the schedule and felt he was ready for that, which I don't think HE was before, I was! So at that point I took away the pull-ups and told him he had to go poop in the potty because he was big enough. Eventually that worked, but he did cry about it. I think some kids just have issues with it and you are lucky Jakob didn't. We struggled with it a lot, because we thought if he could go pee in the potty he should go poop in the potty and we fought about it, but it did no good. The only thing that worked was patience. Good luck! I've been there.