Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Laundry, How do you do it???


I have serious laundry issues. It seems I always have piles, dirty or clean. I feel like I have tried it all to stay on top of things. I have done all the laundry in the house One day each week. It made for a long day of washing folding and putting away. Then I switched to Doing laundry by room. Colin and mines on Monday, boys on Tuesday, Alexa Wednesday, towels and bedding Thursday. But it seemed like I never had full loads, and I can't just mix whites, darks and reds all in one load for the boys. So Next I went to doing a load or two each day. Now I just do it when I have time. But here is my major problem. I am really good at getting stuff washed but getting it folded and put away is a different story. I have found that I like folding the clothes and putting them away after the kids go to bed and I am watching my shows that are recorded. But the problem with that is that I have baskets of clothes sitting around all day and my kids some how always mange to dump them out and make an even bigger mess. So I want to know what works for you? What is your routine? How about socks? Do you throw them all in a big basket and then mate them all once a week or how do you work it? How do you guarantee the same socks in the same load? Do fold as soon as it comes out of the dryer, or does it sit? Tell me your secrets cause seriously I need a new routine! Help!!!

7 comments:

Angelica said...

Hey Cori,
I think this is an age-old dilemma. I have a 3 compartment sorter laundry basket for my dirty clothes so that helps with the piles of dirty clothes. When 1 compartment gets full, I do a load. Then when the load is done I throw the clean laundry on my bed if I can't fold it right then (which is mostly all the time :) ) then I have to fold the clean laundry before I can go to bed. If the kids are already in bed and I can't put their clothes away, I have a laundry basket for each of them that I put their clean, folded laundry in for them to put away (with help) the next morning. They get a quarter for helping me put their clothes away. Hey, they have to help to earn their money. (We're teaching them about savings and rewards). So, I'm glad to hear that somebody else has this problem too! Best of luck and laundry! Hope you guys are doing well!

Moonmagic said...

Do what Brian does - don't wash anything just keep buying new stuff. Or if you run out of clean socks - don't wear any... Oh boy am I glad he is married!

Melissa D said...

I safty pin the socks together....it's a pain, but I do not loose socks!! Good LUCK!

Mama Bean said...

I do all my washing and folding in one day usually. BUT I make my oldest put her own clothes away. She can hang up her clothes if I get her hangers down and she knows what goes it which drawers. With the socks.....I put them all in a basket and fold them last. Good luck. Laundry UGH!!

Ryan & Amanda said...

We have four baskets-darks, lights, Alli, and towels. Then when one is full I do that load-usually one a day or so. Then I leave it in the dryer (horrible, I know) until I am ready to fold if it I can't fold it right after, that way I can fluff it to get the wrinkles out before I fold it. My problem is putting Alli's stuff away after I do her laundry since I am generally folding when she is asleep and when she wakes up I forget- good luck with this one I go back and forth on how I want to do it. :)

Brown Ohana said...

Hey Cori! I hope you don't mind. I found your blog through Heather's. Anyway, why not get the kids to help fold their own laundry? I know they are little but they can roll up their clothes, which is easy for them to do, and then they can put it away themselves. It works in our house and it teaches them about chores. It's been easier that way for me:) Anyway, I hope all is well with you and your family!
Love,
Neidy

Deidra Smith said...

I'm like the last guy. I figure that my kids made half of the laundry so they can help clean it up. I usually do laundry 2-3 times a week and on those days Liberty and Kayson usually both have to fold a batch and put it away when they are done. Then they earn points to use towards playing video games, watching t.v., or playing with friends. It seems to work pretty well.